I’m Running for Congress because I’m a Leader who will fight to protect the interests of citizens in Iowa – because I stand ready to fight for our prosperity and health, our civil rights and civil liberties, and our security.
I grew up the older of two sons in a single parent home at a time when family, neighbors and church had a hand in raising me to be the man I am today. My Mom raised me to trust in God, to believe in myself, to do right by others, and to help those in need.
Following in my Father and Grandfather’s footsteps, I enlisted in the Army National Guard at 17 years old and began my service to this Nation. A combat veteran, I served with distinction for more than 30 years earning numerous military awards for leadership and outstanding service.
Today, I continue serving near my home in Cedar Rapids and other communities in Iowa working with community advocacy groups and mentoring young people about the importance of working hard and overcoming life’s obstacles to achieve the American Dream.
I’ve done many things over the years, and I will use my experiences to fight for Iowa.
Quick Facts About George
- George was born in Kansas City and grew up in the Brookside area and attended Southwest High School.
- George moved his family to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 2012.
- George’s son is a member of the Pearland (TX) Police Officer’s Association. His Brother is a member of United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 249; one uncle is a member of the Communication Workers of America Local 6360, and another is a member of Sheet Metal Workers (SMART) Local 2.
- George’s grandfather was a WWII combat veteran. His Father was a Vietnam veteran who received two Purple Hearts for injuries sustained in combat while serving with the 101st Airborne Division.
- George served in the U.S. Army and was deployed during Operation Desert Storm as a Combat Engineer. He later served as a Military Police Officer and Army Recruiter. He was awarded five Meritorious Service Medals and six Good Conduct medals.
- In 1994, George was appointed as a Special Agent with the Missouri Department of Public Safety, Division of Liquor Control where he worked closely with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies on multi-jurisdiction drug task forces and special investigations.
- George was recognized as the Distinguished Law Enforcement Officer of the Year (MO) in 1998.
- George has been recognized for his work in communities across the Region. He was appointed a Kentucky Colonel by the Commonwealth of Kentucky for his many hours of volunteer service; in the wake of the Ferguson, Missouri, disturbance, George used his law enforcement experience to work closely with community organizations and law enforcement, and served as moderator for a public forum to discuss topics on use of force policies and police transparency.
- George is highly sought after to speak at events on the topic of servant leadership and educational opportunities for young people; and his leadership philosophy, “The Fruit of Success.”
- George earned his Bachelor of Public Administration from Park University where he now serves on the National Alumni Council Board; and his Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership from Gonzaga University
I believe that my educational background and professional experiences uniquely qualify me as an exceptional candidate for Congress in Iowa’s 1st District. My education in organizational leadership and public administration provide the necessary skills to be a leader focused on leadership development and public service.
For more than 30 years I served this Nation as a Soldier, peace officer, and community servant. My lifelong commitment to service has prepared me to serve as Congressman.
Reasons to Vote for George Ramsey
- Spiritually grounded
- Charismatic and transparent
- Excels at relationship building to drive successful outcomes
- Forward thinking visionary
- Proven leader in community affairs, strategic planning
- Accessible to constituents
- Dedicated to preserving legislative decorum and protocols